WASFAA 2017 CONFERENCE
College: May Access Be With You
The annual WASFAA conference is a unique training and professional development opportunity that will equip Financial Aid Administrators (FAA) with the tools necessary to better serve students and families.
Each year, more than 300 student aid professionals from across the Western region attend the conference to learn, network, and share best practices.
Keeping up with the ever-changing laws and regulations that govern the Title IV student financial aid programs has become increasingly difficult.
With a new Administration it will be important for FAAs to know what the new President and Congress has in store for student financial aid administration. FAAs will need to determine how it will affect our students and institutions. It is crucial that we stay up-to-date and how to implement any required changes to remain in compliance.
Conference attendees will benefit from individual guidance from U.S. Department of Education trainers, networking with our NASFAA colleagues and learning about support programs and software innovations from our partner exhibitors.
- Registration Fee - $395 (now through March 9, 2017) plus 2017-18 Membership Fee - $50
- Late Registration Fee - $445 (registration after March 9) plus 2017-18 Membership Fee - $50
Cancellation and Refund Policy: Deadline is March 10, 2017 at 5 p.m. PST. Refunds will be processed automatically for registration cancellation by this deadline. All request for refunds after the March 10, 2017, 5 p.m. PST refund deadline must be submitted in writing. Please include the name of the participant who is canceling, the reason for the request and the address to which a refund check, if the request is approved, should be mailed. Send your request to WASFAA Treasurer, Mindy Bergeron at E-mail: email@example.com or FAX: (925) 969-3390, and copy Laura Hughes, Registrar at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions about this, please email: Kay W. Soltis, Conference Chair at email@example.com.
WASFAA Pre-Conference Training: Two NASFAA U Certification Courses
REGISTER NOW For Pre-Conference Training
Attention: If you are planning to attend the WASFAA Pre-conference training offering two NASFAA University courses on Student Eligibility and Professional Judgement, you need to register here in addition to registering for the conference. Normally the cost for these two courses through NASFAA would run $634. But by attending through WASFAA’s Pre-conference training, WASFAA members and those registered for the conference pay just $50, and non-WASFAA Members pay $100 (which will include a WASFAA Membership). A savings of $584!
$50 registration fee for WASFAA Members and those who registered for the conference
$100 ($50 registration fee PLUS $50 WASFAA Membership fee) for non-WASFAA Members not planning to attend the conference.
2017 WASFAA Conference Charitable Organization
This year the WASFAA organization will be supporting the following charitable organization - Youth Care, learn more about this outstanding organization http://www.youthcare.org/ and how you can help.
Please consider donating in one of the following ways:
Review the Conference Agenda – Draft
View the Conference Sessions
Conference sessions are subject to change
Download and Print the 2017 Conference Handouts
WASFAA 2017 Conference Hotel
The Westin Seattle
Located in downtown Seattle, Washington.
The Westin Seattle raises the bar when it comes to offering the grandest accommodations in downtown Seattle. Views of the cityscape, Cascade Mountains, and Space Needle are all generously provided in rooms that have floor-to-ceiling windows and balconies. The hotel’s cylindrical design is a standout against Seattle’s famous destinations such as Century Link and Pike Place Market.
In and Around
- Short distance from Pike Place Market and Washington State Convention Center
- Located within Downtown Seattle
- 2-mile drive from Columbia Center and Space Needle
- 2 hip bar and lounges within the property
- Specialty drinks offered at Relish Barista
- Parasailing, boat launch, and squash nearby
The hotel conference rate is $169 for a traditional single or double plus taxes and charges. A deluxe water view rate is $199 plus taxes and chares for a single or double. The rates are available until March 9 or our room block is filled.
Reservations may be made online at https://www.starwoodmeeting.com/Book/WASFAA2017
or by calling The Westin Central Reservations at 1-888-627-8513.
Note: An early departure fee of $50.00 will apply if an attendee checks out prior to the confirmed checkout date.
Make your reservations soon as the Westin Seattle is a very popular hotel and rooms will go quickly.
Airport – Seattle Tacoma (SEA) International Airport
Round trip transportation to/from the SeaTac airport is easy and accessible by car, shuttle, taxi, Light rail and of course Uber.
Seattle/Tacoma International Airport (SEA) Travel Distance to the Westin Seattle: Approximately 24.14 km/15.0 miles.
- Taxi service is readily available at Sea-Tac Airport on the third floor of the parking garage
- Approximately $45 USD each way
- Taxis are available at the front drive of the hotel 24 hours a day
Downtown Airporter by Shuttle Express
- Downtown Airporter departs from Level 3 of the parking garage, island 2. Follow the signs to ground transportation, taxis, limos, hotel shuttles on the third floor of the parking garage.
- Adults: One way ticket is $18 USD and roundtrip is $36 USD; children 17 and under ride free.
- Hours: Departures from SeaTac Airport and downtown Seattle 24-hours day, every day. Leaves SeaTac Airport approximately every 30 minutes
- Please note that reservations are required for trips from downtown to the airport. For additional information, visit www.downtownairporter.com or call 855-566-3300
- Guests can ride Sound Transit's Link Light Rail from downtown to the airport – Follow signs at airport for Light Rail. Take the Westlake Mall stop (inside the Westlake Mall, go to ground level 5th and Pine, Westin is one block.
- Cost: $3.00 each way
- Time: 35 minutes each way
Uber is another great way to get around the city. Download the app and get a driver to come directly to you. Learn More.
More information can be obtained and arranged by contacting the Westin http://www.westinseattle.com/transportation.
Things To Do
Already registered and looking for things to do while you visit Seattle?
Here are some great suggestions from our WASFAA Colleagues who live in Seattle!
The Seattle Mariners opening weekend at home overlaps with the conference. There are evening games on Saturday, Monday and Tuesday that are outside of scheduled conference activities. Anyone wanting to catch a game could easily take the Link light rail from the Westlake station (across from the Westin) and get off at the SoDo/Stadium station with a short walk to Safeco Field. Safeco Field has gained a reputation as a beautiful setting for baseball and great place for fans; featuring skyline views, great game-viewing angles and an impressive menu of local food and microbrews. If you are interested in more information, go to www.mariners.com.
Located in the historic Pioneer Square neighborhood, Bill Speidel’s Underground Tour and Spooked in Seattle Ghost Tours both provide an alternative historic tour of Seattle. Not meant for the faint-of-heart, portions of these programs take tourists through underground storefronts and connecting tunnels that were closed off when the city rebuilt itself after the Great Fire of 1889. Tickets, details, and more information on the underground tour can be found at http://www.undergroundtour.com/. Details for the Spooked in Seattle tour are available at spookedinseattle.squarespace.com.
Also located near Pioneer Square is Seattle’s first skyscraper. Built in 1914, Smith Tower features a small museum, mercantile and over-the-top examples of art deco architecture on the ground floor, plus 360 degree views of the Seattle skyline and Mount Rainier from its newly-refurbished observatory deck. The observation deck also features a very swanky cocktail bar, which offers light bites and speakeasy-inspired cocktails. Tickets to the observation deck may be purchased online in advance or at the Provisions mercantile for $10; combined access to both the museum and observation deck are $14. More information is available at www.smithtower.com.
Seattle has a ton of great places to eat! Seattle Locals - please share your favorite place to eat on our Facebook Page! #WASFAA2017
View the Restaurant Map
Available inside Westin Seattle
- Relish To-Go with Salads and Sandwiches available
- Relish Restaurant, sit-down
Exit Westin Seattle through valet entrance, 1 level below Lobby
- Marination, quick serve – 6th & Lenora
Order take-out online https://togoorder.com/web/1217#/
- Potbelly Sandwich Shop, quick serve – 6th & Lenora
Order take-out online http://www.potbelly.com/Shops/ShopLocator.aspx?PotbellyShopId=407
- Mamnoon Street, quick serve – 6th & Lenora
- Skillet Regrade, quick serve – 6th & Lenora
- Tanakasan, sit-down – 6th & Lenora
- Starbucks, quick serve – 6th & Stewart
- Great State Burger, quick serve – 7th & Westlake
- Bar Noroeste, sit down – 7th & Lenora
- Anar, quick serve – 6th & Lenora
- Cinque Terre, sit-down – 7th & Virginia St.
- Evergreens Salad, quick serve – 6th & Olive
- Jimmy John’s Sandwiches, quick serve – 6th & Olive
Exit Westin Seattle on 5th Avenue, Lobby Level-
- Icon Grill, sit down – 5th & Virginia St.
- Cantina Lena, quick serve (Tom Douglas Restaurant) – 5th & Lenora St.
- Palace Kitchen, sit-down (Tom Douglas Restaurant) – 5th & Lenora St.
- Lola, sit-down (Tom Douglas Restaurant) – 4th & Virginia St.
- Dahlia Lounge, sit-down (Tom Douglas Restaurant) – 4th & Virginia St.
- Serious Pie, sit-down (Tom Douglas Restaurant) – 4th & Virginia St.
- Westlake Shopping Center, Food Court (top level) - 5th & Pine
Churches and Synagogue
Local Catholic Churches
Christ of Hope - 206-448-8826
1902 2nd Avenue // Stewart
Sunday: 9:30am, 7:00pm // español 5:00pm
Plymouth Congregational Church - 206-622-4865
1217 6th Avenue // University
Catholic Mass Service:
Saint James Cathedral - 206-622-3559
804 9th Avenue // Marion
Monday-Friday: 8:15am, 5:30pm
Saturday: 8:15am, 5:30pm
Sunday: 8am, 10am, 12pm, 5:30pm & Evening Prayer 4:00pm
Midday Prayer: Monday-Friday 12:00pm
Ecumenical Prayer with Music from Taize: Fridays 6:30pm
Tours: Every Wednesday 1:00pm // 4 or more call for special tour
Sacred Heart of Jesus - 206-284-4680
205 2nd Avenue N. // Thomas
Monday-Friday: 8:00am Adoration Chapel [downstairs], 12:10pm in Church
Tuesday: 5:30pm Adoration Chapel [downstairs]
Saturday: 8am & 5:30pm
Sunday: 11am, 5:30pm
Synagogues near the Seattle Westin
Bet Alef Meditative Synagogue
1111 Harvard Ave
Seattle, WA 98122
Phone number (206) 527-9399
Temple De Hirsch Sinai
1511 E Pike St
Seattle, WA 98122
Phone number (206) 323-8486